Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on transforming the lives of people affected by rare diseases and devastating conditions through the development and delivery of valued innovative medicines. We are driven to continuously innovate and create meaningful value in all we do to help patients and their families fully live their best lives.
With more than 3,000 employees across the world, Alexion’s Italian office was opened in 2007 to serve patients across Italy. We believe it is our responsibility to listen to, understand, and change the lives of patients and those who work tirelessly to help them.
There are over 7,000 known rare diseases across the European Union. In Italy, more than 770,000 people are affected by a rare disease, with an estimated prevalence of 1.27% of the population. Many rare diseases are severe, chronic and progressive, with symptoms worsening over time. 50% of rare diseases affect children and one third die before the age of 5. In Italy, one rare disease patient out of five is under 18 and this has an impact on families for generations. Rare diseases are characterized by high mortality rates and high levels of disability and treatments are available for only ~ 5% of rare diseases.
References upon request.
We at Alexion Italy work every day to build a better future for the people living with rare diseases and other devastating conditions. We continue to innovate by expanding our research commitment to new areas of research where unmet needs still exist with the aim to helping patients and their families to live their lives to the full. In Italy, we work across various rare and devastating disease areas, including:
- Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH)
- Atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS)
- Pediatric onset hypophosphatasia (HPP) and
- Lysosomal acid lipase deficiency (LAL-D)
Clinical Trials in Italy
Alexion works with clinicians and the wider healthcare community in Italy to undertake carefully planned clinical studies designed to help deliver a better tomorrow for people living with rare diseases and devastating conditions. We have robust experience in deciphering new biological pathways, finding fresh research approaches, and designing and conducting clinical studies with meaningful and ambitious endpoints. Conducting clinical research in rare diseases is complex and challenging, and the risk of failure is high. Yet Alexion continues to innovate and evolve into new areas where there is great unmet need and an opportunity to help patients, and their families, fully live their lives.
More information about Alexion clinical studies
Alexion clinical trials are listed on https://clinicaltrials.gov/
Creating Value through Corporate Social Responsibility
Our comprehensive approach to Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is viewed through the lens of shared value – helping to solve social challenges while creating financial value.
- We invest in our communities and shared planet in support of those who depend on us today and for generations that follow.
- We urgently seek to understand patient journeys, find answers, and collaborate to deliver access to medicines that change lives.
- We aspire to become the most rewarding company to work for, embracing belonging, and governing and managing our business to return value to our stakeholders.
- We continue to pioneer new medicines for devastating rare disorders. We work to advance healthcare through innovative diagnostics and transparency).
To learn more about our CSR commitment, corporate giving and progress to-date, please visit our global corporate website.
Please find here the latest local press releases:
- The Alexion Charitable Foundation donates $ 500,000 to tackle the COVID-19 pandemic
- Alexion launches new digital hub, AlexiOnRare, to facilitate dialogue on current and future challenges in the field of rare diseases
Ethics and Transparency
Alexion Italy is committed to operating with integrity, accountability, and transparency, and to complying with all applicable laws and regulations.
At Alexion we offer a unique opportunity to launch, expand, or develop your career in an entrepreneurial, dynamic, and highly innovative environment, backed by an organization with a global presence. Our greatest satisfaction is knowing that through our work we contribute to the well-being of society, improving the quality of life of our patients.
Date last modified: 06/2021