CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY (CSR)
Creating Value Through CSR
Our comprehensive approach to CSR is viewed through the lens of shared value – helping to solve social challenges while creating financial value. Our CSR-STAR platform serves as a tangible way to live our Culture and Values. To learn more about our CSR commitment, journey, and progress to-date, please read our inaugural CSR Report and watch our CSR video. This report focuses on our CSR activities in 2019 and does not include efforts to address the COVID-19 pandemic. Information about our response to this global health crisis can be found here.
Alexion’s CSR-S•T•A•R Platform
Supports our mission to transform the lives of people affected by rare and devastating disease while creating value for all our stakeholders.
We invest in our communities and shared planet in support of those who depend on us today and for generations that follow.
- Serving local communities through charitable giving and volunteerism. Global Week of Service is our annual company-wide volunteer campaign. In 2020, more than 1,480 Alexion employees contributed 3,4000+ hours of service in support of 85 projects throughout 20+ countries worldwide.
- Engaging with nonprofits and educational institutions
- Providing educational opportunities, promoting diversity and inclusion, and supporting emotional well-being
- Committing to environmental stewardship that aligns with global standards, as demonstrated in our Environmental Health and Safety Policy
- Earning LEED® certification at our Boston, MA and New Haven, CT locations
We urgently seek to understand patient journeys, find answers, and collaborate to deliver access to medicines that change lives.
- Offering complimentary, personalized support through programs including OneSource™
- Providing eligible patients outside of the U.S. with an option to apply for access to our medicines at no cost under certain circumstances through our Global Access to Medicines Policy
- Regularly engaging with patient organizations around the world to promote the understanding of rare diseases, improve patient care, and enhance access to medicines
We aspire to become the most rewarding company to work for, embracing belonging, and governing and managing our business to return value to our stakeholders.
- Continuously evolving our efforts to ensure employees feel respected, valued, and empowered
- Encouraging diversity of backgrounds and ideas and fostering a sense of belonging
- Creating a culture of recognition where employees are more engaged because their performance is applauded and results openly appreciated
- Offering competitive benefits and training and development opportunities to help employees reach their potential and grow their careers
- Placing oversight on matters of social and environmental responsibility in the hands of our Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee
- Working within this oversight, our Executive Committee has the responsibility of assisting in the development and recommendation of policies and management systems for environmental, health, safety, and social responsibility matters to the Board
- Serving as a collaborative, cross-functional, decision-making task force, our CSR Steering Committee is focused on CSR and shared value efforts at Alexion
We continue to pioneer new medicines for devastating rare disorders. We work to advance healthcare through innovative diagnostics and transparency.
- Leveraging the power of complement biology and advancing a highly robust pipeline focused on rare diseases
- Working aggressively to accelerate the diagnosis of conditions beyond those we treat
- Partnering with others to address unmet needs and earning the Guinness World Record for fastest genetic diagnosis through one such partnership
- Supporting Externally Sponsored Research and academic and institutional discovery partnerships to advance scientific knowledge and research
We build trust when we make the right choices and act with integrity. Our unwavering commitment to ethics, quality, and compliance improves our ability to serve patients and enhances our reputation and competitive advantage.
- Relentlessly focusing on doing the right thing, in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, and implementing policies and practices to ensure this is operationalized
- Setting forth principles that all employees have a responsibility to read, understand, and follow in our Code of Ethics and Business Conduct
- Offering a 24/7 Ethics and Compliance Helpline to provide a mechanism for asking questions or reporting concerns anonymously
- Carefully protecting the privacy of patients and healthcare professionals
- Seeking to conduct business with vendors who share our high ethical standards, as outlined in our Vendor Code of Conduct
Giving at Alexion
We support important community initiatives and the needs of people affected by rare disease.
Alexion offers promise and cultivates a sense of belonging as we positively impact our local communities. We focus on initiatives that advance emotional well-being, provide educational opportunities for disadvantaged and disenfranchised people, and promote diversity and inclusion in society and critical institutions.
Patient Organization Support
We support and engage with patient organizations in areas that overlap with our medicines and pipeline.
Research & Medical Education
We provide grants, including Externally Sponsored Research.
For questions related to Corporate Giving at Alexion: CharitableGiving@Alexion.com
Click here to visit our External Funding Management System (EFMS) portal to take Alexion’s External Funding Eligibility Quiz.
For questions related to our Medical Education and Patient Advocacy Grants: External.Funding@alexion.com
When I hold Adelyn now, it’s like holding the sun––a ball of warmth. She just looks at you and warms your heart.”JOE, ADELYN'S DAD LIVING WITH HPP